Friday, March 22, 2013

Banners at Playing in Paradise

Hello everyone,

I hope you had a wonderful week and that Spring has arrived in your corner of the world.  Not so lucky for us; I think we got at least 45cm (a foot and a half) of snow this last week and it is still snowing as I'm writing this post.  Looking to the bright side - all that shovelling will help tone my arms up for summer and burn the calories from the Easter eggs.

It is Friday so a new Playing in Paradise challenge begins today.  A big thank you to everyone who took part in last week's challenge!  I loved seeing all your favourites.  This week, the talented Linda is hosting and she has chosen banners as the theme.  As always, everyone is invited to take part and you can create anything you like using any supplies you fancy.  I hope you will join in the fun!


The project I had initially planned for this challenge didn't come together in time, so I ended up making a quick and easy gift card holder instead.  The idea for this 'wallet' style holder came from a magazine, but I made a lot of changes to the dimensions and design.



To replicate this project, start with a 10.8 x 28.9 cm (4 1/4 x 11 3/8 inches) piece of card and score it at 6.4, 14, 17.8, and 21.6 cm(2 1/2, 5 1/2, 7 & 8 1/2 inches).  Fold it up, glue the card holder part down taking care to leave the opening for your card and then decorate and embellish as desired.  Here is the inside, which I simply covered with designer paper:

Supplies:

Paper - Bazzill card, Copic card and American Crafts DP
Stitching - Even though I have a sewing machine, I did all the stitching around the edge by hand.  I find it easier to get a nice straight line.  I use my TH ruler (which has perfectly spaced wholes in it) and a paper piercing mat to pierce all the wholes before stitching.
Stamps - Stampin' Up Apothecary Art stamped with black Memento and coloured with Prismas
Other - edges of the DP were inked with yellow Colour Box fluid chalk.  Ribbon and pearls.

If you haven't already, pop by the Playing in Paradise challenge and check out the beautiful projects made by our DT and guest designer.  Then get crafting and join in the fun!

Thanks for visiting and for taking the time to leave a comment.  I love reading them and having the chance to visit you back.  Last but not least, a big welcome to my newest followers!  I am so happy to have you along.

Hugs,

Dawn

14 comments:

Christina - Pieces of Dreams said...

Hi Dawn
What a great idea, I will make a note of how to make this holder, it's so neat and pretty.
Thank you
Chris xx

Sue said...

This is gorgeous Dawn. I love the design, with a beautiful image and papers.
Sue xx

Jessi Fogan said...

I love it, Dawn! That floral stamp is totally gorgeous :)
I so hear you on the snow - second round for us this week, although we haven't hit your amount yet...and I'm hoping we don't!

~Tammy~ said...

Dawn I love this design! Love the yellows! Perfect for spring however it has not showed up here yet! Burr it was 23f here.

fairyrocks said...

Useful and pretty, a gift card really does seem to be the way to go these days. Thank You for this. Keep smiling and creating.

Notes by Nina said...

Very pretty card Dawn, I love the bright sunny yellow and beautiful image.

Inkypinkydelights said...

Oh this is brilliant Dawn! Thanks for your kind words on my Blog today too and have a happy weekend. Judy x

Craftdee said...

Very nifty gift wallet! Lovely fresh colours and nice image too, Donna xx

Linda Pekrul said...

I'm always looking for new ideas for gift cards Dawn. This is just gorgeous! I love how you made the greeting into a banner! Will definitely be "pinning" the instructions!

An Occasional Genius said...

What a great idea Dawn! I love the layout for a 'normal' card too. Hugs xx

Unknown said...

What a lovely, bright gift card holder Dawn, a superb idea, indeed! Thanks for your sweet comment on my blog, take care, Ira xox
irascreacorner.blogspot.nl

Donna Ellis said...

A beautiful wallet style gift card holder with the sunniest of colors, Dawn. It just looks like something you would give to a friend - sunny, happy, pretty and classic! So pretty! hugs, de

walchowDesign said...

Pretty card and love the sweet colours. Lovely idea with the pocket inside !

Lindsay Craftymonster81 said...

Really beautiful, I love the pretty colours and the image is gorgeous
Lindsay xx